Friday, February 26, 2010

XXOOX with love from Me to you (by Carolyn)

This week as I prepared for the blog, I reflected on the week gone by and asked myself three questions: What have I learned about the nature of God? How did I learn it? How do I apply it? At first, random thoughts raced through my mind, but then, suddenly one thought focused me. Does this happen to you? How do you categorize the lessons of your faith? Let's discuss it!

Judy and I are taking a class through the Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. We are studying I Corinthians this semester. It's an excellent class for a number of reasons; the subject matter is divine, the teacher is outstanding, the students are passionate and serious, and come prepared to learn about and discuss the Word of God.

This week we completed an assignment in which we were supposed to read through the book and write a one page report on something that spoke to us as we read. Chapter 15 leaped out at me as if it were written just for me. God was my teacher through Paul's pen. Paul disappeared as I read what God dictated.

"But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that He raised Christ from the dead. But He did not raise Him if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men. "
I Corinthians 15:12-19

If this were the case, we'd be fools! But, it is not. The opposite is true. What would it say if it were a positive statement? "It has been preached that Christ has been raised from the dead. Therefore, there is a resurrection of the dead. If there is a resurrection of the dead, then Christ has been raised. And if Christ has been raised then our preaching is useful and so is our faith. More than that, we are truthful witnesses about God, for we have testified that God raised Christ from the dead. He did raise Him and He has been raised. If the dead are raised, then Christ has been raised too. And if Christ has been raised, our faith is substantiated and true; we are forgiven our sins in Christ. Those of us who have fallen asleep in Christ are found. Our hope in Christ is from now to eternity and we are to be envied above all men."

This Scripture impresses me! I learned it by carefully reading it over and over and thinking hard about it. God is logical. He is practical. He is thorough. He is persuasive, persistent and determined. "Come now," He says, "Let us reason together." (Isaiah 1:18) There is no doubt what is being said. Christ was raised from the dead and we with Him. God wrote this Bible. He says what He means and He means what He says. It is evidence I need to believe the Gospel truth, follow it, and tell others. God wrote this book not only so that we will know how to live this life His way for the best life possible in spite of our temporary trials and tribulations, but also to woo us and win us to Himself. It is His love letter to us thoroughly punctuated with hugs and kisses. Imagine that!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... turning the negative to the positive. I am convinced! You are a worthy successor to Old CS.

    ReplyDelete