Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sigh ( by Carolyn )

According to the American Heritage Dictionary to sigh is to "exhale audibly in a long, deep breath, as in sorrow, weariness or relief. " When do you sigh?

I never considered it until about a month ago. My little, three year old friend, Sara, and I were washing dishes in the kitchen sink. She was standing on a chair doing all the washing and I was standing right behind her (just in case!). For no reason, other than maybe to get a deep breath, I sighed. She quickly whirled around and said, "What's wrong?" There was worry in her voice and face. Knowing I had upset her, just as quickly I responded, "Why nothing is wrong Sara. Why do you ask?" She wasn't sure. She said, "I don't know. You just sounded different."

The following Sunday our pastor was preaching on Mark 7:31-37, the story of the healing of the deaf and mute man. Verses 33-34 say, "After he took him aside, away from the crowd, Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears. Then he spit and touched the man's tongue. He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh, said to him, "Ephphatha!' which means, "Be opened!" While there's much to be said about this story, our pastor paused and asked, "Why does Jesus sigh? Why is this noted?" I'm glad he is the pastor and I am not, for I was clueless! He didn't have all the answers, but suggested that we seldom get an emotional response from Jesus, but when we do it is generally a response to sin.

If you combine the "look up to heaven" with his sigh, it absolutely makes sense. Sin again. Makes me sigh, just thinking about it. Since Jesus had taken the man aside, the man must have told others that Jesus sighed, or some witnesses, maybe even Mark, must have been within earshot. How amazing this tiny, seemingly inconsequential detail is even noted in Scripture!

Days later, I was running on the treadmill when I heard a familiar song by Keith and Kristin Getty called "Don't Let Me Lose My Wonder." There is was again! "I've heard you laugh and cry in a single sigh, and a story formed within..." There are many movies and t.v. programs that can make you laugh and cry at once but in a single sigh?

Finally, I saw a video recently of my nephew's wedding. As the bride and groom turned to greet the congregation after the ceremony was complete, the bride sighed a deep breath of relief and a smile spread across her face.

What about all this? "Sigh. I don't know. Do you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment