Monday, July 18, 2011

Seek and Ye Shall Find by Carolyn


Tis not too late to seek a newer world
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Tennyson wrote these words long ago. My favorite line is probaby the most oft quoted line, "To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield." It reminds me of another oft quoted line of Scripture, Jeremiah 29:13. "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 'I will be found by you.' declares the Lord."

As Judy, my boon companion and I are about to dock at the shores of retirment; she from a career that lasted over 40 years and my husband from his, we are wondering what directions await. Where will the Lord lead us? Will He lead us down separate paths or the same path? Or, will He lead us down both? We don't know but we are sure of the Lord's promise in nearby Jeremiah 29:11. "'I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" We eagerly and faithfully embrace the future!

But there is more on my mind today than just this. Perhaps some of you are like I am, and from time to time find yourselves fretting about family, friends, associates and people of all kinds who haven't yet "sought" the Lord. There is still time to seek Him while He may be found. Even the hardest of hearts can be softened by Him because "Nothing is too hard for the Lord." He stands at the door of every heart and knocks. To find Him all we need to do open the door. For those who have already done so there is much to learn! For those who have not yet opened the door, a new world awaits! There is another way that leads to the same conclusion. We can knock on His door until He is found by us!

We should not "yield" but rather "push off", sailing "beyond the sunset", remembering, "tho' much is taken, much abides" and "tho made weak by time and fate but strong in will, to strive, to seek, to find and not to yield" until He is found by us!


No comments:

Post a Comment